All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAllopathy is often described as 'western' medicine, the antithesis of homeopathy, yet all medical systems are infused with culture-specific values, ideas and beliefs. Agnes Loeffler's insightful and original book investigates how allopathic kwledge, theories and practice guidelines come to be understood and applied by practitioners in a n-western context. Based on research amongst doctors in Iran, Loeffler describes how the system of allopathic medicine has adapted to local explanations of health and disease and to the ecomic, social and religio-political realities framing contemporary Iranian life and culture. This approach simultaneously problematizes the view of allopathic medicine as a 'western' entity exerting a hegemonic influence over n-western cultures, and provides a rare glimpse of the complexities of modern Iran society - exploring the interfaces between culture, health and the experience of illness.
- Author BiographyAgnes G. Loeffler is Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Wisconsin, USA.
- Author(s)Agnes Loeffler
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/03/2007
- SubjectAlternative Therapies & Health
- Series TitleInternational Library of Iranian Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 6
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight386 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.