All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBreaking new ground in the areas of attachment and child development, Sue Jennings introduces the concept of 'Neuro-Dramatic-Play' exploring the sensory experiences that take place between mother and child during pregnancy and the first few months after birth. She explains how this interaction, that is essentially 'dramatic' in nature, is of crucial importance for the infant to develop a healthy brain, strong attachments and future resilience. Based on sound experience and observation, this book consolidates current theories of neuroscience, attachment and therapeutic intervention and challenges commonly held psychoanalytic ideas of child development. By expanding on the often narrow view of what is understood by attachment, this book makes a strong case for early years inclusion of play and arts therapies. Neuro-Dramatic-Play is also discussed in relation to fostering and adoption, teenagers and young adults, and children with developmental or cognitive disabilities. This accessible text will interest all therapists and practitioners who work with children and teenagers, including child psychotherapists, psychologists, social workers, paediatric and perinatal nurses, paediatricians, child psychiatrists and play and arts therapists, and post-graduate students.
- Author BiographySue Jennings' career in professional theatre, play and dramatherapy, and social anthropology spans over 50 years. She is currently Honorary Fellow of Roehampton University, President of the Romanian Association of Play Therapy and Dramatherapy, Founder Member of the British Association of Dramatherapists and Dramatherapy Association of the Czech Republic. She is Honorary Advisor to WCCL (India) for their Arts become Healing training, and to the Irish Association of Play Therapy. In 2002 she was awarded the Gertrud Schattner Plaque for 'Excellence in Practice and Education in Drama Therapy'. She has published over 30 books, including Introduction to Developmental Playtherapy: Playing and Health and Introduction to Dramatherapy: Theatre and Healing - Ariadne's Ball of Thread, also published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Author(s)Sue Jennings
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/11/2010
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Series TitleArts Therapies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Note52 line drawings and ten black and white photographs
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Illustrator(s)Chloe Gerhardt
- Foreword byDennis McCarthy
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.