All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionHealthy city planning means seeking ways to eliminate the deep and persistent inequities that plague cities. Yet, as Jason Corburn argues in this book, neither city planning r public health is currently organized to ensure that today's cities will be equitable and healthy. Having made the case for what he calls 'adaptive urban health justice' in the opening chapter, Corburn briefly reviews the key events, actors, ideologies, institutions and policies that shaped and reshaped the urban public health and planning from the nineteenth century to the present day. He uses two frames to organize this historical review: the view of the city as a field site and as a laboratory. In the second part of the book Corburn uses in-depth case studies of health and planning activities in Rio de Janeiro, Nairobi, and Richmond, California to explore the institutions, policies and practices that constitute healthy city planning. These case studies personify some of the characteristics of his ideal of adaptive urban health justice. Each begins with an historical review of the place, its policies and social movements around urban development and public health, and each is an example of the urban poor participating in, shaping, and being impacted by healthy city planning.
- Author BiographyJason Corburn is an Associate Professor at the University of California, Berkeley and is jointly appointed in the Department of City & Regional Planning and the School of Public Health.
- Author(s)Jason Corburn
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/03/2013
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitlePlanning, History and Environment Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note68 black & white halftones
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.