All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHEARING BIRDS FLY is Louisa Waugh's passionately written account of her time in a remote Mongolian village. Frustrated by the increasingly bland character of the capital city of Ulan Bator, she yearned for the real Mongolia and got the chance when she was summoned by the village head to go to Tsengel far away in the west, near the Kazakh border. Her story completely transports the reader to feel the glacial cold and to see the wonders of the Seven Kings as they steadily emerge from the horizon. Through her we sense their trials as well as their joys, rivalries and even hostilities, many of which the author shared or knew about. Her time in the village was marked by coming to terms with the harshness of climate and also by how she faced up to new feelings towards the treatment of animals, death, solitude and real loneliness, and the constant struggle to censor her reactions as an outsider. Above all, Louisa Waugh involves us with the locals' lives in such a way that we come to kw them and care for their fates.
- Author BiographyLouise Waugh has written for the GUARDIAN on Ulan Bator, and a 10-part series on Mongolia for the BBC World Service.
- PrizesWinner of Ondaatje Prize 2004. Shortlisted for Thomas Cook Travel Book Award 2004.
- Author(s)Louisa Waugh
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication23/01/2003
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight196 g
- Width199 mm
- Height156 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.