All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFaith cometh by hearing - so said Saint Paul, and devoted Christians from Augustine to Luther down to the present have placed particular emphasis on spiritual arts of listening. In quiet retreats for prayer, in the isy exercises of Protestant revivalism, in the mystical pursuit of the voices of angels, Christians have listened for a divine call. But what happened when the ear turned to God's voice found itself under the inspection of Enlightenment critics? This book takes us into the ensuing debate about hearing things - an intense, entertaining, even spectacular exchange over the auditory immediacy of popular Christian piety. The struggle was one of encyclopaedic range, and Leigh Eric Schmidt conducts us through natural histories of the oracles, anatomies of the diseased era, psychologies of the unsound mind, acoustic techlogies (from speaking trumpets to talking machines), philosophical regimens for educating the senses, and rational recreations eleborated from natural magic, tably ventriloquism and speaking statues. Hearing Things enters this labyrinth - all the new disciplines and pleasures of the modern ear - to explore the fate of Christian listening during the Enlightenment and its aftermath. In Schmidt's analysis the reimagining of hearing was instrumental in constituting religion itself as an object of study and suspicion. The mystic's ear was hardly lost, but it was w marked deeply with imposture and illusion.
- Author BiographyLeigh Eric Schmidt is Professor of Religion at Princeton University.
- Author(s)Leigh Eric Schmidt
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication08/11/2002
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note9 halftones, 26 line illustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.