Heart Function and Metabolism: Proceedings of the Symposium Held at the Eighth Annual Meeting of the American Section of the International Society for Heart Research, July 8-11, 1986, Winnipeg, Canada by Springer-Verlag New York Inc. (Paperback, 2011)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the course of the last two decades, it has become increasingly evident that the sarcolemmal, sarcoplasmic reticular and mitochondrial membrane systems play an important role in determining the status of heart fution in health and disease. These organelles have been shown to be intimately involved in the regulation of cation movements during the contraotion-relaxation cycle. Various proteins imbedded in the phospholipid 2+ + - + + bilayers of these membranes control Ca ,Na, Cl ,K and H concentrations within the oytoplasm by indirect or direct means. Cationic channels, Na+, + 2+ 2+ 2+ + 2+ + + K -ATPase, Ca IMg ATPase, Ca pump, Na -Ca exchanger, Na -II exchanger and adenylate cyclase affect myocardial fution and viability through their role as regulators of specific ion movements. However, proteins are t the only important constituents of the membrane. Any disturbance in the interaction between proteins and phospholipids in the membrane has been suggested to alter the fution of the organelles, upset ionic homeostasis and precipitate the development of abrmalities in oardiac performance. It is, therefore, orucial to understand the faotors whioh regulate membrane fution in their totality if we are to oomprehend the nature of heart performae in healthy subjects. Similarly, the study of membrane dysfution in a wide variety of experimental models of heart disease at various stages of failure is essential if we are to fully understand the pathogenesis of heart dysfution and improve its treatment.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication17/10/2011
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleDevelopments in Cardiovascular Medicine
- Series Part/Volume Number66
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight688 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byGrant N. Pierce,Naranjan S. Dhalla,Robert E. Beamish
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.