Heart of Darkness and the Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad (Paperback / softback, 2001)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $6.92Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $11.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this pair of literary voyages into the inner self, Joseph Conrad has written two of the most chilling, disturbing, and teworthy pieces of fiction of the twentieth century. Heart of Darkness is a devastating commentary on the corruptibility of humanity. Based on Conrad s own 1890 trip up the Congo River, the story is told by Marlow, the velist s alter ego. It is a journey into darkness and horror both literally, as the narrator descends into a sinister jungle landscape, and metaphorically, as he encounters the morally depraved Mr. Kurtz. The Secret Sharer is the tale of a young sea captain s first command as he sails into the Gulf of Siam and into an encounter with his mysterious double, the shadow self of the unconscious mind. Joseph Conrad boldly experimented with the vella and vel forms, filled his writing with the exotic places he himself had traveled, and concerned himself with hor, guilt, moral alienation, and sin. Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer encapsulate his literary achievements and his haunting portrayal of the dark side of man. With an Introduction by Joyce Carol Oatesand an Afterword by Vince Passaro
- Author BiographyA native of Poland, Joseph Conrad(1857-1924) spent his youth at sea, and although relatively ignorant of the English language until the age of twenty, he ultimately became one of the greatest English novelists and stylists. At the age of thirty-two, he decided to try his hand at writing, left the sea, married, and became the father of two sons. Although his work won the admiration of critics, sales were small, and debts and poor health plagued Conrad for many years, until the success of Chance (1913) gave him financial security. Among his best-known works are Lord Jim (1900), Heart of Darkness (1902), The Secret Sharer (1907), Under Western Eyes (1911), and Victory (1915). Joyce Carol Oates is the author of numerous novels, as well as collections of stories, poetry, and plays. The Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor in the Humanities at Princeton University, she is the recipient of numerous literary awards, including the National Book Award, the PEN/Bernard F. Malamud Award for the short story and the Prix Femina. Vince Passaro is the author of Violence, Nudity, Adult Content: A Novel, as well as criticism, essays, and short fiction that have appeared in many national magazines, including Harper's Magazine, Esquire, GQ, Elle, O The Oprah Magazine, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, Story, Open City, Salon.com and others. Both his fiction and essays have been widely anthologized, and he has taught literature and creative writing at New York University and Columbia University.
- Author(s)Joseph Conrad
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/2001
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleSignet Classics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSignet Classics
- Weight95 g
- Width107 mm
- Height171 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Introduction byProfessor of Humanities Joyce Carol Oates
- Format DetailsMass market (rack) paperback,Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.81
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.81Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.19
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $20.66
- AU $28.14Trending at AU $28.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.