All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis graduate textbook describes atomic-level kinetics (mechanisms and rates) of thermal energy storage, transport (conduction, convection, and radiation), and transformation (various energy conversions) by principal energy carriers. The approach combines the fundamentals of molecular orbitals-potentials, statistical thermodynamics, computational molecular dynamics, quantum energy states, transport theories, solid-state and fluid-state physics, and quantum optics. The textbook presents a unified theory, over fine-structure/molecular-dynamics/Boltzmann/macroscopic length and time scales, of heat transfer kinetics in terms of transition rates and relaxation times, and its modern applications, including na- and microscale size effects. Numerous examples, illustrations, and homework problems with answers that enhance learning are included. This new edition includes applications in energy conversion (including chemical bond, nuclear, and solar), expanded examples of size effects, inclusion of junction quantum transport, and discussion of graphene and its phon and electronic conductances. New appendix coverage of Phon Contributions Seebeck Coefficient and Monte Carlo Methods are also included.
- Author BiographyMassoud Kaviany is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and in the Applied Physics Program at the University of Michigan, where he has been since 1986. His area of teaching and research is heat transfer physics, with a particular interest in porous media. His current projects include atomic structural metrics in high-performance thermoelectric materials (both electron and phonon transport) and in laser cooling of solids (including ab initio calculations of photon-electron and electron-phonon couplings), and the effect of pore water in polymer electrolyte transport and fuel cell performance. His integration of research into education is currently focused on heat transfer physics, treating the atomic-level kinetics of transport and interaction of phonon, electron, fluid particle, and photon, in a unified manner. This combines ab initio (fine structure), molecular dynamics, Boltzmann transport, and macroscopic treatments, but on increasing length and time scales. He is author of the monographs Principles of Heat Transfer in Porous Media, 2nd edition, and Principles of Convective Heat Transfer, 2nd edition, and the undergraduate textbooks Principles of Heat Transfer and Essentials of Heat Transfer. He received the College of Engineering's Education Excellence Award in 2003. He is an editor of the Journal of Nanoscale and Microscale Thermophysical Engineering, and is on the editorial board of the International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer and several other international journals. He is an ASME Fellow (since 1992) and an APS Fellow (since 2011), was Chair of the Committee on Theory and Fundamental Research in Heat Transfer (1995-8), and is the recipient of the 2002 ASME Heat Transfer Memorial Award (Science) and the 2010 Harry Potter Gold Medal (Thermodynamics Science).
- Author(s)Massoud Kaviany
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication10/02/2014
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note388 b/w illus. 72 tables 165 exercises
- Weight1390 g
- Width177 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.