All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionEver wondered how to make a garden attractive in December? Or what to do with that corner by the dustbin? Answers to these questions can be found in this compact and charming book of tips for the green-fingered, accompanied by Heath Robinson's highly inventive and humorous cartoons. First published in 1938, the book gives an insight into gardening trends on the eve of the Second World War while also addressing common concerns faced by gardeners. It features many typically elaborate contraptions such as the Combined Telescopic Spaderake for digging and raking at the same time, the Inebriate Roller for making wobbly garden paths and the Osoeezi Slugsticker. While some are patently ridiculous - a lawn is de-thistled and resown with the help of a barrel of grass seed strapped onto a small donkey - others are before their time, such as a special pump that can divert your bathwater into your garden hose, a contraption that is t wildly dissimilar to gadgets on the market today. Finally, the growing of vegetables inspires some sage advice: 'with the right kind of upbringing, a marrow will attain astonishing dimensions, and can be used for boasting purposes.' Poking gentle fun at a British obsession with a detailed illustration on almost every page, this book will delight both aspiring and experienced gardeners alike.
- Author BiographyWilliam Heath Robinson (31 May 1872 - 13 September 1944) was an English cartoonist and illustrator best known for drawings of ridiculously complicated machines for achieving simple objectives.
- Author(s)K. R. G. Browne,W. Heath Robinson
- PublisherThe Bodleian Library
- Date of Publication07/10/2016
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Bodleian Library
- Content Note116 black & white illustrations
- Width120 mm
- Height185 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.