Heirs of the Fisherman: Behind the Scenes of Papal Death and Succession by John-Peter Pham (Paperback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $26.10Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe death of Pope John Paul II and consequent election of Pope Benedict XVI has shed light on a political process that the world has t been privy to for almost twenty-six years. People from around the world gathered in St. Peter's Square, wondering who the next Vatican leader would be and how the election process really worked, while everyone from international news correspondents to local priests added their own opinions to the debate. With Heirs of the Fisherman, former Vatican insider John-Peter Pham presents us with a highly accurate portrait of the modern Vatican, -the only account to reveal the striking changes to papal succession procedures made by John Paul II. Blending political and ecclesiastical history, Pham goes beyond a mere description of the complex rituals-including a rare insight into the dramatic shifts inside the College of Cardinals, whose 100 members w hail from 50 nations around the globe. He takes us into the secret conclave, where the electors were kept under lock and key, until they had selected a new pope, and details a fascinating chronicle of political intrigue set in the context of ritual. He also includes a chapter devoted to the intrigues of the 20th century where the first conclave had an emperor's veto and the last was won by the first n-Italian in four centuries becauase the Italians were bitterly divided. Complete with a new Preface, Afterword, and appendices that include an English translation of the last will and testament of Pope John Paul II, Heirs of the Fisherman is an illuminating history and must-have guide to this vitally important world event. It will continue to be an indispensable reference to watchers of future Catholic Church politics.
- Author BiographyJohn-Peter Pham is a frequent writer and commentator on religious and public affairs. An alumnus of the post-graduate Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy, he served as a Vatican diplomat as well as an aide to both the Vicar General of His Holiness for the Vatican and the President of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace. Dr. Pham recently joined the faculty of the Center for Liberal and Applied Social Sciences at James Madison University.
- Author(s)John-Peter Pham
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication27/04/2006
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight545 g
- Width155 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.89Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.