All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe lives of great figures in history are full of inspiring and moving episodes. Young people especially can learn from these stories, gaining hope, courage, and even hints on how to live their own lives. Children everywhere benefit from reading about the lives of heroic achievers, and indeed, these stories are an important part of their education and growth. Shogakukan Biographical Comics is a series of biographies of inspirational historical figures in an easy-to-read manga format. These books are as fun to read as any manga, but the stories they tell are based entirely on historical fact. Every volume includes a map and a historical timeline, rounding out a package that teaches even as it entertains. It is impossible to imagine the anguish and suffering young Helen Keller endured when she lost both her sight and hearing as a young child. Helen Keller: From Darkness to Light is the miraculous but true story of how the wholehearted devotion of a brilliant tutor, Anne Sullivan, helped Helen overcome these terrible disabilities and live a vital, fulfilling life. Anne, kwn to Helen as Teacher, first taught her student discipline, then finger-spelling, and finally, language itself. Eventually Helen learned how to actually speak. After graduating from college, she traveled and lectured around the world, devoting her life to the creation of a society where people with and without disabilities could live together. Her efforts spurred the development of educational and welfare programs in many countries. Helen s story is an inspiration for young people everywhere.
- Author BiographyMegumi Sugihara writes scripts for a variety of media, including TV animation shows for children as well as manga. She was responsible for several of the scenarios for the worldwide animation hit Sailor Moon. Her manga work is mainly in the genres of biographical manga and adaptions of classics for young readers. Naoko Takase in Kagawa Prefecture, Japan. After graduating from high school she decided to become a manga artist and moved to Tokyo. In 1976 she made her professional debut in a girls manga monthly with the serial Straw Hat Sea. She has produced many manga for children in Shogakukan s educational magazines, and has recently expanded into the genres of biographical manga and manga on child-rearing.
- PublisherViz Media
- Date of Publication13/09/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Series TitleBiographical Comics
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintViz Media
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width145 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Illustrator(s)Naoko Takase
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.