All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMuch has already been written on warfare in ancient Greece. Yet there are a number of factors that nevertheless warrant the publication of yet ather book on this topic. Firstly, this book provides a detailed, diachronic treatment of a dynamic and formative period of Greek history, from the Mycenaean Bronze Age down to the Persian Wars. Secondly, it offers an up-to-date and detailed treatment of the archaeological evidence in addition to the ancient texts. Thirdly, it places the military developments into their proper cultural and historical contexts: warfare was t merely an activity that ancient peoples frequently engaged in, but served a much broader function as a constituent element of their cultural identities. Using the Homeric epics as a guide, the reader is presented with a cultural history of warriors and warfare in Early Greece: from the chariot-borne soldiers of the Mycenaean palaces to the seaborne raiders of women and cattle of the Dark Age; from the men of bronze who helped liberate Egypt from the Assyrian yoke down to the Battles of Thermopylae and Salamis. Along the way, a number of detailed issues are considered, including the proper place of the Greek hoplite in the history of the Eastern Mediterranean, the possible origins of the Argive shield, developments in naval warfare, and the activities of Greek mercenaries. Henchmen of Aresis an expanded and revised version of the doctoral dissertation on Early Greek warfare by Mediterranean archaeologist Josho Brouwers, editor of Ancient Warfare magazine. It has been completely restructured and reworked to make the text accessible to a general audience, while also offering a detailed treatment of the relevant sources and a further reading section for more serious students and specialists alike.
- Author BiographyDr. Josho Brouwers studied archeology and wrote a PhD dissertation on warfare in ancient Greece, which has been published as Henchmen of Ares: Warriors and Warfare in Early Greece (2013). Aside from writing, he is also the editor of Ancient Warfare magazine, an international bimonthly periodical on the military history of the ancient world.
- Author(s)Josho Brouwers
- PublisherKarwansaray BV
- Date of Publication20/11/2013
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationRotterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintKarwansaray BV
- Content Notefull-colour photos, illustrations and maps
- Weight1021 g
- Width210 mm
- Height260 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.