All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionPublished in conjunction with the most comprehensive exhibition ever devoted to the paper cut-outs Henri Matisse made from the early 1940s until his death in 1954, this paperback edition presents approximately 150 works in a groundbreaking reassessment of the artist's colorful and invative final chapter. The result of new research by conservators and curators, the catalogue explores a host of technical and conceptual issues: the artist's methods and materials and the role and function of the works in his practice; their ecomy of means and exploitation of decorative strategies; their environmental aspects; and their double lives, first as contingent and mutable in the studio and ultimately made permanent, a transformation accomplished by mounting and framing. Richly illustrated to present the cut-outs in all of their vibrancy and lumisity, the book includes an introduction and a conservation essay that consider the cut-outs from new theoretical and technical perspectives, and five thematic essays, each focusing on a different moment in the development of the cut-out practice, that provide a chronicle of this radical medium's unfolding. Period photographs show the works in progress in Matisse's studio.One of modern art's towering figures, Henri Matisse (1869-1954) was a painter, draftsman, sculptor and printmaker before turning to paper cut-outs in the 1940s. From the clashing hues of his Fauvist works, made in the South of France in 1904-5, to the harmonies of his Nice interiors from the 1920s to this brilliant final chapter, Matisse's career followed a path that he described as construction by means of color.
- Author BiographyJodi Hauptman is a Curator in the Department of Drawings & Prints at The Museum of Modern Art, New York.Karl Buchberg is a Senior Conservator at The Museum of Modern Art, New York.Samantha Friedman is an Assistant Curator in the Department of Drawings & Prints at MoMA.Nicholas Cullinan is the Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- PublisherMuseum of Modern Art
- Date of Publication01/10/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMuseum of Modern Art
- Weight1361 g
- Width226 mm
- Height269 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byAssistant Professor Jodi Hauptman,Karl Buchberg,Nicholas Cullinan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.