All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionHe was the Great Compromiser, a canny and colorful legislator whose life mirrors the story of America from its founding until the eve of the Civil War. Speaker of the House, senator, secretary of state, five-time presidential candidate, and idol to the young Abraham Lincoln, Henry Clay is captured in full at last in this rich and sweeping biography. David S. Heidler and Jeanne T. Heidler present Clay in his early years as a precocious, witty, and optimistic Virginia farm boy who at the age of twenty transformed himself into an attorney. The authors reveal Clay's tumultuous career in Washington, including his participation in the deadlocked election of 1824 that haunted him for the rest of his career, and shine new light on Clay's marriage to plain, wealthy Lucretia Hart, a union that lasted fifty-three years and produced eleven children. Featuring an inimitable supporting cast including Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and Abraham Lincoln, Henry Clay is beautifully written and replete with fresh anecdotes and insights. Horse trader and risk taker, arm twister and joke teller, Henry Clay was the consummate politician who gave ground, made deals, and changed the lives of millions.
- Author BiographyDavid S. Heidler and Jeanne T. Heidler have collaborated on books about the early American republic, the Antebellum period, and the Civil War. Their editorial work includes Encyclopedia of the War of 1812 and the award-winning Encyclopedia of the American Civil War. They are the authors of Henry Clay: The Essential American; Old Hickory's War: Andrew Jackson and the Quest for Empire; The War of 1812; Manifest Destiny; Daily Life in the Early American Republic: Creating a New Nation,1790-1820; and The Mexican War. In addition to their work as authors, the Heidlers are general editors of monographs on U.S. civil-military relations, American soldiers' lives, and life on the home front. Their next book with Random House, Washington's Circle: The Creation of the President, is scheduled to hit shelves on March 24, 2015. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)David S Heidler,Dr Jeanne T Heidler
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/05/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBallantine Books Inc.
- Out-of-print date30/11/2015
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white halftones, frontispiece
- Weight726 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.