All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $20.71
About this product
- DescriptionThe more it is studied the more confidently can we assert its flawlessness as one of the masterpieces of music-drama. -- Grove's Dictionary of Music and MusiciansWhen English composer Henry Purcell (1659-1695) wrote Dido and Aeneas, opera was t yet publicly performed in London. Indeed, although Purcell was already recognized as one of London's most distinguished musicians and composers, the debut performance of Dido and Aeneas was t in the kind of grand theater we w associate with opera. It took place at Josias Priest's Boarding-School at Chelsey...Perform'd by Young Gentlewomen, possibly as early as 1680.In time, sparkling miniature opera, filled with intense drama and elegant song, would dazzle theater audiences around the world. It remains the oldest English operatic work still regularly performed.Dido and Aeneas lasts little more than an hour, yet encompasses a broad range of expressive music, from a high-spirited sailors' dance to one of the most touching of all operatic arias, Dido's lament, When I am laid in earth. This brilliant work, by the greatest English composer of his time, is presented here in an authoritative early full-score edition.
- Author(s)Henry Purcell
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication01/10/1995
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Out-of-print date08/03/2012
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight278 g
- Width213 mm
- Height278 mm
- Spine7 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.