All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom ancient medicines to the savoury dishes of today, there is hardly a culture in the world that does t kw and make use of herbs. Despite often being little more than weeds, various cultures have found hundreds of uses for these plants, culinary, medicinal or otherwise. Indeed, many books have been written on their various purposes - with much information on cooking and healing with herbs - while little has been written about the history of the plants themselves, and of the incredible journeys they have made. In Herbs Gary Allen tells the story of these oft-overlooked plants, which have become such a staple in our lives. He describes how, unlike spices that quickly made their way to cultures throughout the world, herbs were often hoarded by their cultivators and used to make distinctive regional dishes. Allen's truly global history examines herbs in a way never seen before. The first history of herbs around the world, this will be an essential read for any self-proclaimed foodie, as well as anyone with an interest in these delectable additions to our cuisine. With many beautiful illustrations and delicious recipes, kitchen library is complete without Herbs: A Global History.
- Author BiographyGary Allen is on the Board of Directors at the Unison Arts & Learning Center in New Paltz, NY. He has written many food-related articles and is the author of The Herbalist in the Kitchen (2007).
- Author(s)Gary Allen
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/05/2012
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Series TitleEdible
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note37 colour illustrations, 67 black & white illustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width120 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.