Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionAn Australian ballerina and a German dancer and choreographer meet while rehearsing with an American ballet company ahead of a European tour. This chance encounter sets the scene for a lifelong partnership, and the couple literally dance their way around the world. Christina Gallea and Alexander Roy had the opportunity to join several international ballet companies as principal dancers before deciding to follow an independent path, setting off in an overloaded Volkswagen Beetle to tour Europe with their own recital performance. The success of this venture led to the formation of a ballet company, based in London, the Alexander Roy London Ballet Theatre. The company spent 25 years touring throughout the UK, becoming a vital part of the British dance scene, as well as performing in 30 different countries world-wide. Christina recounts the highs, lows and peculiar challenges of performing while touring the globe - how they narrowly escaped revolution in South America, survived being mugged in the Philippines, a fire, and run-ins with the East German police. She also writes vividly of the ballet studios and famous teachers with whom both dancers studied in London and in Paris. Mixing personal anecdote with fascinating insights into an exciting period of dance history, from the post-war years right up to the year 2000, this lively account captures the spirit of this most transient of art forms.
- Author BiographyChristina Gallea was born in Sydney, Australia and began her dance career aged 16 with Australian Theatre Ballet. Coming to Europe, Christina danced with several international ballet companies, performing principal roles and working with leading choreographers. Christina was the ballerina, creating many roles, and Associate Director for Alexander Roy London Ballet Theatre. Now living in the south of France, she contributes to Dancing Times and Dancetabs.com.
- Author(s)Christina Gallea Roy
- PublisherBook Guild Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication24/05/2012
- SubjectAutobiography: The Arts
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBook Guild Publishing Ltd
- Out-of-print date04/01/2017
- Content Note93 black & white integrated plates, 16 pages colour plate section
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.