All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his sixteenth collection, Stephen Dunn continues to bring his imagination and intelligence to what Wallace Stevens calls the problems of the rmal, which of course pervade most of our lives. The poem Don't Do That opens with the lines: It was bring-your-own if you wanted anything / hard, so I brought Johnnie Walker Red / along with some resentment I'd held in / for a few weeks. In other poems, Dunn contemplates his own mortality, echoing Yeats- That is country for old men / cadenced everything I said -only to discover he's joined their ranks. In The Writer of Nudes his speaker is in search of the body's grammar but tells his models, Don't expect to see yourself as other / than I see you. Full of grace, wit, humor, and masterful precision, the poems in Here and Now attest to the contradictions we live with in the here and w. Political and metaphysical, these astonishing poems remind us of the essential human comedy of getting through each day. from The House on the Hill ...from out of the fog, a large, welcoming house would emerge made out of invention and surprise. No things without ideas! you'd shout, and the doors would open, and the echoes would cascade down to the valleys and the faraway towns.
- Author BiographyStephen Dunn is the author of poetry collections including What Goes On: New and Selected Poems 1995-2009 and Here and Now. He was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his collection Different Hours. He has also been a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award and has received an Academy Award in Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. A Distinguished Professor Emeritus at Richard Stockton College, he lives in Frostburg, Maryland, with his wife, the writer Barbara Hurd.
- Author(s)Stephen Dunn
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication15/02/2013
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Weight140 g
- Width140 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.