All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis study examines the influence of Kant on Hermann Cohen s philosophy of religion. A basic tenet in Kantian philosophy of religion is that morality leads ineluctably to religion. But how does morality lead to religion? While Cohen rejected Kant s doctrine of the postulates (of the existence of God and the immortality of the soul) as it is formulated in Kritik der praktischen Vernunft, he searched for alternative ways to found a -religion of reason- in ethics. This book concentrates on two routes from ethics to religion that are central to Cohen s philosophy of religion in his two last works: Der Begriff der Religion im System derPhilosophie (1915), and Religion der Vernunft aus den Quellen des Judentums (posthumous 1919). One route takes compassion towards the -concrete Other-, which is complementary to an ethics of universal respect, as its point of departure, and argues that an attitude of compassion and recognition of the Other as a genuine individual presupposes a distinctive religious consciousness. The other route is inspired by Kant s wrestling with the problem of removal of moral guilt in Religion innerhalb derGrenzen der blossen Vernunft, and centres around the questions of guilt and liberation from guilt. Cohen s ideas and their continued relevance are explored in this book in light of some major concerns of twentieth century and contemporary philosophy of religion.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Ketil Bonaunet is professor at the Department of Philosophy, University of Tromso, Norway. He has written monographs on -Ethical Reason, Self-transcendence and Needs- (Trondheim 1986), -Kant s Ethics and the Transcendental-pragmatic Discourse-ethics- (Tromso 1993) and -Ethics and Theory of Action in Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas. Two Studies in the Nicomachean Ethics and Summa Theologiae- (Tromso 2001) (all in Norwegian). His publications also include papers on mediaeval philosophy, Kantian philosophy and contemporary ethics.
- Author(s)Ketil Bonaunet
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/12/2004
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleEuropean University Studies: Series 20, Philosophy
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 679
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight240 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.