All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBernard Lonergan's tion of the 'universal viewpoint' is at once a timely and an unpopular topic. The very term seems to violate the postmodern concern for indigeus contexts, and yet, given the development of information techlogies, world courts and international charters of rights, the need for universal frameworks has never been greater. This study by Ivo Coelho shows Lonergan's approach to be a complex blend of dialectic and dialogue that has much to offer to a discourse on transcultural issues.Coelho shows Lonergan's universal viewpoint to be an important hermeneutical tool that makes its appearance in Insight but is seemingly forgotten in the later works. He argues, however, that the tion did t disappear, but rather underwent a shift. Using the Thomist tion of wisdom (appropriated by Lonergan in his Verbum articles) as a key for interpretation, Coelho traces the flowering of the universal viewpoint into a mature theological method - one that holds out the hope of an effective transcultural mediation of meanings and values. Lonergan's approach to mediation, says Coelho, neither compromises on the demands of truth r neglects the very real claims of difference.
- Author BiographyIvo Coelho is Rector and teacher at Divyadaan: Salesian Institute of Philosophy, Nashik, India.
- Author(s)Ivo Coelho
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2012
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.36Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.