Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $13.00Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the author of 'The Pike' - winner of the 2013 Samuel Johnson prize for n-fiction - a compelling story of heroism told through eight famous lives that span from Achilles to Sir Francis Drake. On 12 September 2001, a group of people were photographed near the ruins of the World Trade Centre holding up a banner that read WE NEED HEROES NOW. In Lucy Hughes-Hallett's brilliant new book she explores that need through the careers of eight heroes. Her subjects - Achilles, Odysseus, Alcibiades, Cato, El Cid, Francis Drake, Wallenstein, Garibaldi - were t necessarily good (quite the reverse in some cases), but they were all great, charismatic eugh to persuade those around them that they were capable of doing what one else alive could do. Beginning beneath the walls of Troy and ending in 1930s Europe when the cult of the hero was turning politically lethal, this is a book about mortality and dictatorship, about money and sorcery, about seduction (sexual and political) and mass-hysteria. Above all, it is a sequence of extraordinary stories, each of them shedding a different and startling light on the all-but-universal craving for an invincible champion, an all-powerful redeemer, a superman, and each of them featuring a character so glamorous or intimidating that his contemporaries considered him either a devil or a god.
- Author BiographyLucy Hughes-Hallett is the author of Cleopatra: Histories, Dreams and Distortions and Heroes: Saviours, Traitors and Supermen. Cleopatra won the Fawcett Prize and the Emily Toth Award. Lucy Hughes-Hallett is a highly respected critic who has reviewed for all the major British newspapers. She is a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature.
- Author(s)Lucy Hughes-Hallett
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication04/07/2005
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFourth Estate Ltd
- Content Note16 col plates (16pp), With index
- Weight480 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.25Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.