All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHertfordshire's Historic Inland Waterway: Batchworth to Berkhamsted takes the reader on a fascinating journey along the towpath of the Grand Union Canal, which meanders through what is arguably one of the most picturesque stretches of inland waterway in the county. Using a vibrant selection of old picture postcards and photographs, together with superb modern-day images, John Cooper traces the history of the canal from its beginnings at the start of the early nineteenth century as an essential means of transporting raw materials to the new factories and mills, to its eventual decline in the mid-twentieth century and its renaissance with the emerging pleasure boat business. During this time, canalside industries thrived, firms like W. H. Walker of Rickmansworth, where many of the narrowboats on what was then the Grand Junction Canal were built; the highly successful John Dickinson paper mills and the Frogmore Mill at Apsley, home of the world's oldest mechanised mill, still producing paper. We pass the magnificent Grade II listed Croxley Great Barn, a fourteenth-century threshing barn, before arriving and Ironbridge Lock in the beautiful Cassiobury Park, once the vast estate of the Earls of Essex. Wandering past quaint waterside inns, we reach our destination - the attractive country town of Berkhamsted, with its ruins of the eleventh-century castle. Interesting anecdotes and a wealth of information abound in this well-illustrated book about Hertfordshire's historic inland waterway.
- Author BiographyJohn is a retired quantity surveyor and office manager. Following early retirement in 2002, his hobbies have included genealogical research, working at his computer, reading and collecting old photographs and postcards, particularly of Watford and Harpenden. Since taking up in 2006, he has had many books published on Herfordshire area. He is a Friend of Watford Museum, and also Cassiobury Park, and enjoys collecting old picture postcards, as well as local history and, of course, writing.
- Author(s)John Cooper
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication12/11/2015
- SubjectShips & Waterways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.