Hey, Shorty!: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets by Mandy Van Deven, Joanne Smith, Meghan Huppuch (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $15.37Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.00Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt every stage of education, sexual harassment is common and often considered a rite of passage for young people. It's t unusual for a girl to hear 'Alright beautiful' or 'Hey, shorty!' on a daily basis, as she walks down the hall in school or out in town, followed by a sexual innuendo, insult, come-on, or assault. Girls for Gender Equity, a nprofit organisation based in New York, has developed a model for teens to teach one ather about sexual harassment. Geared toward students, parents and teachers, this book is an excellent model for building awareness and creating change.
- Author BiographyGirls for Gender Equity (GGE) is an intergenerational, grassroots organization committed to the physical, psychological, social and economic development of girls and women. Through education, organizing and physical fitness, GGE encourages communities to remove barriers and create opportunities for girls and women to live self-determined lives. Despite minimal resources, GGE fights for urban girls, makes extraordinary contributions to the community and to the educational, economic and cultural life of New York City. Joanne Smith, founder and executive director of Girls for Gender Equity (GGE), is a Haitian American social worker and unapologetic feminist born in New York City. Smith is an alumna of Hunter Graduate School of social work. She has been awarded many times over, including: the Union Square Award (2006); the Susan B. Anthony Award from NOW-NY (2008); a Rising Star Award from the Educational Equity Center (2008); the Extraordinary Woman Award presented by Brooklyn District Attorney Charles J. Hynes (2009); and the Stonewall Women's Award from the Stonewall Democratic Club in recognition of her leadership and dedication to women s and LGBTQ rights (2010). She has also been inducted in the New York City Hall of Fame. Meghan Huppuch comes from a family of bold feminists and adventurers. She is a strong believer in young people's power to create change and has focused her energy on work that directly affects youth. Currently the director of community organizing at Girls for Gender Equity, in the past she has worked as a teaching assistant in a summer reading academy, artist's assistant for a community mural designed and painted by teens, a fundraiser for a local chapter of the Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network, and a programmer/representative for the Center for Multicultural Education and Programming at NYU, where she majored in social and cultural analysis. Originally from Ossining, NY, Huppuch resides in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. Mandy Van Deven is a freelance writer, radical activist, and founder of the Feminist Review blog. Focusing on gender, sexuality, popular culture, and religion, her work has appeared in various online and print media, including AlterNet, Bitch, ColorLines, Marie Claire, and The Women s International Perspective. Van Deven worked for over ten years as a grassroots organizer in New York and Atlanta. She currently lives in Calcutta, India.
- Author(s)Joanne Smith,Mandy Van Deven,Meghan Huppuch
- PublisherFeminist Press at The City University of New York
- Date of Publication30/06/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFeminist Press at The City University of New York
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width133 mm
- Height191 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.24
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.