Hickman's Farriery: A Complete Illustrated Guide by John Hickman, M. Humphrey, Martin Humphrey (Hardback, 1998)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $43.54Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $103.94+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHickman's Farriery was first published in 1977 and has since been completely revised and updated to bring it into line with the latest developments in this field. The new edition demonstrates how traditional skills can be combined with modern science to benefit the welfare, soundness and performance of the horse. The book begins with a short history of horseshoeing, tracing its origins to pre-Christian times. The authors then move on to explain the underlying structure of the horse's front and hind legs so that farriers can better understand the scientific principles of their craft. The tools used on the foot and at the anvil are described in detail, as are the various types of horseshoe that can be applied. The chapter on shoemaking includes numerous practical exercises, each one illustrated with specially taken step-by-step photographic principles of their craft. Further chapters examine the care of the feet in shod and unshod horses, including youngstock; methods of preventing slipping; and the use of pads. The final chapter looks at injuries caused by shoes and abrmalities of gait, the shoeing of defective feet and surgical shoes.
- Author BiographyColonel John Hickman, MA, FRCVS, Hon.FWCF, was Emeritus Reader in Animal Surgery of the University of Cambridge. He served in the Royal Army Veterinary Corps from 1936 to 1947 and was Honorary Colonel Commandant from 1970 to 1979. He was the founder president of the British Equine Veterinary Asociation and the first editor of the Equine Veterinary Journal. He wrote Veterinary Othopaedics, was co-author of An Atlas of Veterinary Surgery and edited Horse Management and Equine Surgery and Medicine. Colonel Hickman died in 2000. Martin Humphrey, BVMS, MRCVS, Dip., WCF, qualified as a veterinary surgeon from Glasgow University in 1979. He worked in general and equine practice, developing a special interest in lameness. In 1983 he achieved the farriery qualification of Dip.WCF by examination. He was awarded a British Equine Veterinary Association Trust travel scholarship to study farriery in North America. He now has a busy farriery practice in Hertfordshire which combines with his continued involvement in veterinary practice.
- Author(s)John Hickman,M. Humphrey,Martin Humphrey
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication14/02/1998
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJ.A.Allen & Co Ltd
- Content Noteline drawings, photographs
- Weight820 g
- Width164 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.24Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.