All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title presents intensely personal and unique art that gives voice to an unspeakable medical topic. Hidden Agenda documents Carol Chase Bjerke's large-scale multifaceted art project about living with an ostomy after treatment for colorectal cancer. An ostomy is a surgical reconfiguration of the intestine to create an opening in the abdominal wall through which body wastes pass. Addressing quality-of-life issues ranging from questions of identity and privacy to specifics of management and self-care, this book is about relentlessness and repetition and time measured in medical supplies. Bjerke conveys vast amounts of information and provides an entree into long-overdue discussions about what many would designate as a crude and outdated medical procedure that is still used as state-of-the-art treatment for a variety of gastrointestinal diseases. Intensely personal yet tastefully, thoughtfully, and beautifully wrought, Bjerke's artwork t only provides one woman's story about living with an ostomy but also serves as inspiration, affirmation, and support for patients, family members, artists, and everyone interested in the healing power of creativity.
- Author BiographyCarol Chase Bjerke has been a self-employed artist and teacher since 1976 and is currently an instructor of book arts and photography at the University of Wisconsin School of the Arts at Rhinelander and the Center for Photography at Madison. Her artwork has been exhibited internationally and is in numerous private and public collections, including the Kohler Art Library in Madison, the Special Collections in the Golda Meir Library at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, and the National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington, D.C.
- Author(s)Carol Chase Bjerke
- PublisherBorderland Books
- Date of Publication15/02/2009
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBorderland Books
- Content Note65 colour photos
- Weight671 g
- Width279 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.