All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is crafted around soldiers' personal descriptions of their war experiences in Afghanistan and Iraq, culminating in life-altering injuries to the brain and psyche, along with the equally dramatic story of their recoveries. An irony of America's 21st century wars has been that while our combat medical and medevac capabilities have grown ermously, the nature of many of America's soldiers' wounds have undergone a subtle change. Men and women who survive the thick of combat, including repeated concussion blasts, increasingly present a difficult-to-detect kind of injury, less debilitating than wounds from bullets or shrapnel. Hidden Battles on Unseen Fronts documents the increasing cases of physical or mental brain trauma among U.S. vets that are a result of more soldiers surviving flesh wounds in battle. The book includes interviews with troops and family members and essays by internationally kwn mental health professionals, veterans'advocates, and members of the Veterans Administration and Department of Defence, all of whom work to support those affected. From combat soldiers and even amputees, who discover that their greatest disability is their head, to support personnel such as Devore Barlowe, who returns from Iraq with severe PTSD, but still juggles her job and the single mothering of two young children, the voices of these warriors reinforce the book's over-arching theme of resilience and courage. About the Author Celia Straus is author of best-seller Prayers On My Pillow, and a film writer and producer who has been writing about the war experiences of service members and their families since 2003.
- Author BiographyCelia Straus is author of the national bestseller, Prayers On My Pillow, and an award-winning film writer/producer who has been writing about the war-related experiences of service members and their families since 2003. The Armed Forces Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to serving the men and women of America's military.
- Author(s)Celia Straus
- PublisherCasemate Books
- Date of Publication31/12/2010
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationHavertown
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCasemate Books
- Content Note16-page photo section
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.