Hidden Cuba: A Photojournalists Unauthorized Journey into Cuba to Capture Daily Life 50 Years After Castro's Revolution by Jack Watson (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $28.95+ AU $7.50 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $48.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRewned American photographer Jack Watson travelled to Cuba on a legal humanitarian visa. He chronicled his journey with breath-taking, and often heart breaking images of he Cuba people, cites, and countryside. Watson describes his visit: I had stepped back in time 50 years -- this was my first impression of Cuba. My journey, which began in Havana, consisted of travelling by bus, pedicab, coco cab, 1957 Chevy, and foot. I was here primarily to help the Cuban people, but giving away medicine, vitamins, and money felt like using aspirin to treat the plague. I covered hundreds of miles, travelling in an oval-shaped route with stops at Cienfuegos, the Bay of Pigs, Trinidad, and Varadero Beach in the province of Matanzas -- and then back to Havana. As the title of this book indicates, this is an unauthorised journal of photographs taken during my visit. While I certainly share similar and compassionate thoughts about humanitarian aid toward people in need, I felt a greater calling in compiling the images for this book. If one picture is indeed worth thousands of words, then this is an encyclopaedic portrayal of the real -- hidden -- Cuba. This is t a travel guide; I will leave that for the tourism industry. It is, however, a behind-the-scenes look at the Cuba that tourist never see. I have tried to present a wide portrayal of images that will allow the viewer to see all aspects of Castro's Cuba. You cant look at the glitz alone and make logical conclusions about this country; while there is some beauty, there is more decay. While the country is admittedly a communist enclave, when looking at these images one has to ask if this form of government was the right choice for the Cuban people. You be the judge -- the story is in your hands.
- Author BiographyJack Watson is a critically acclaimed author, photographer, producer, and film maker. He is a retired international airline Captain with over 30,000 hours flight time, 40-plus years aviation experience, and qualification in over one hundred aircraft. Tapping into his almost encyclopedic knowledge of aviation, Watson's latest novel DRONE WARRIOR is a high-flying military-techno-thriller. The 100,000-word action-filled, page-turning literary roller coaster ride is the first in a three book series and introduces key characters for the trilogy including drone prodigy James Barlow. In addition to Watson's writing talents he has over 30 years experience in the visual arts. His books, photos, short stories and columns have been viewed and read world wide. His works have also appeared in such publications as Playboy.com, Flight, Plane and Pilot, Sport Aviation, Trade-a-Plane, Movie Maker Magazine, Guitar World Magazine, to name a few.
- Author(s)Jack Watson
- PublisherAtlantic Publishing Co
- Date of Publication13/04/2011
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationOcala
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAtlantic Publishing Co
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight980 g
- Width280 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.