All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book argues that Latin America has a distinctive, enduring form of hierarchical capitalism characterized by multinational corporations, diversified business groups, low skills and segmented labor markets. Over time, institutional complementarities knit features of corporate governance and labor markets together and thus contribute to institutional resiliency. Political systems generally favored elites and insiders who further reinforced existing institutions and complementarities. Hierarchical capitalism has t promoted rising productivity, good jobs or equitable development, and the efficacy of development strategies to promote these outcomes depends on tackling negative institutional complementarities. This book is intended to open a new debate on the nature of capitalism in Latin America and link that discussion to related research on comparative capitalism in other parts of the world.
- Author BiographyBen Ross Schneider is Ford International Professor of Political Science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He taught previously at Princeton University and Northwestern University. Schneider's teaching and research interests fall within the fields of comparative politics, political economy and Latin American politics. His books include Politics within the State: Elite Bureaucrats and Industrial Policy in Authoritarian Brazil (1991), Business and the State in Developing Countries (1997), Reinventing Leviathan: The Politics of Administrative Reform in Developing Countries (2003) and Business Politics and the State in Twentieth-Century Latin America (Cambridge, 2004). He has also published on topics such as economic reform, democratization, technocracy, administrative reform, education policy, the developmental state, business groups and comparative bureaucracy in journals such as Comparative Politics, Governance, the Socio-Economic Review, the Journal of Latin American Studies, Latin American Politics and Society, and World Politics.
- Author(s)Ben Ross Schneider
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication02/09/2013
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Comparative Politics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note18 b/w illus. 14 tables
- Weight490 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.