All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionProfessor Charles D. Cuttler changed from artist to art historian at New York University s Institute of Fine Arts , studying under distinguished teachers such as Walter Friedlaender and Erwin Pafsky. A specialist in Flemish painting, he spent the major part of his career teaching at the University of Iowa. He has published reviews, articles, and a well kwn text, Northern Painting , and lectured on Bosch on three continents. Retired in 1983, this enabled him to devote to further research, much of it on Bosch. A result is Hieronymus Bosch: Late Work .
This new book presents his discoveries in three late triptychs, a major trio of Boschs maturity: the Haywain , The Temptation of St. Anthony (Lisbon) , and The Garden of Earthly Delights . He presents Boschs unique view of Christ and salvation in union with hagiography, the Devotio moderna (modern devotion), and medieval hermeneutics, a revelation of Boschs immense erudition and overwhelming artistry. Bosch reinforced his concepts with supporting casts of animals, natural and demonic, birds, and other icographic elements. Analysis of Berlin s picture of St. John the Evangelists apocalyptic vision of the Virgin Mary, the Madrid Seven Deadly Sins tondo, and Vienna s drawing of the Tree-Man expands our understanding. Other influences affecting Boschs art, whether he traveled, or used contemporary prints, whether he drew upon Dantes Infer (he did), or religious tracts, and the attitudes of his ambience are also examined. The Epilogue presents the authors understanding of Bosch in his time and place, his religiosity and his genius.
- Author(s)Charles D. Cutler
- PublisherPindar Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2012
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPindar Press
- Content Note216 col & b/w illus.
- Weight1111 g
- Width175 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.45Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.