Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $184.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $122.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe magnificent Himalayan Mountains, the highest in the world and home to the famed Mount Everest and K2, are also imbued with a rich diversity of ethnic fermented foods. Dr. Jyoti Prakash Tamang, one of the leading authorities on food microbiology, has studied Himalayan fermented foods and beverages for the last twenty-two years. His comprehensive volume, Himalayan Fermented Foods: Microbiology, Nutrition, and Ethnic Values catalogs the great variety of common as well as lesser-kwn fermented foods and beverages in the Himalayan region. This volume begins with an introduction to the Himalayas and the Himalayan food culture. Using a consistent format throughout the book, Dr. Tamang discusses fermented vegetables, legumes, milk, cereals, fish and meat products, and alcoholic beverages. Each chapter explores indigeus kwledge of preparation, culinary practices, and microorganisms for each product. Additional information on microbiology and nutritive value supplements each section, and discussions on ethnic food history and values as well as future prospects for these foods complete the coverage. Dr. Tamang demonstrates that fermentation remains an effective, inexpensive method for extending the shelf life of foods and increasing their nutritional content through probiotic function, and therefore remains a valuable practice for developing countries and rural communities with limited facilities.
- Author BiographyDr. Jyoti Prakash Tamang, a leading authority in food microbiology, has been studying the Himalayan fermented foods and beverages concerning microbiology, nutritional aspects, functionalities, and food cultures for the last 22 years. He earned a B.Sc. (honors), M.Sc., and Ph.D. from North Bengal University, followed by post-doctoral research at the National Food Research Institute (Japan) and the Institute of Hygiene and Toxicology (Germany). Dr. Tamang was awarded the Gold Medal by North Bengal University in 1985, the National Bioscience Award of Department of Biotechnology of Ministry of Science and Technology of India in 2005, and became a Fellow of the Biotech Research Society of India in 2006. Dr. Tamang has published more than 75 research papers in peer-reviewed international and national journals, has filed a patent, and is currently guiding several students. He has presented his works in 17 different countries and is a member of several prestigious national and international academic and scientific organizations. He is a chief editor of Journal of Hill Research, and he is a regular reviewer of many reputable national and international scientific journals and books. Dr. Tamang is the president of the Centre for Traditional Food Research at Darjeeling, a team leader of the Food Microbiology Laboratory, and a senior visiting faculty in microbiology at Sikkim Central University.
- Author(s)Jyoti Prakash Tamang
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication19/08/2009
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note124 black & white illustrations, 23 black & white tables
- Weight589 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.