All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the United States, work is the key to ecomic success, as well as the major source of health care coverage and retirement security. While Europeans look to the State for these benefits, Americans for the most part do t. This system of employment-based benefits means that those disadvantaged in the labor market are also disadvantaged in terms of health care coverage and retirement security. The authors of this work examine the overrepresentation of Mexican Americans in low wage or service sector jobs, which rarely come with health insurance or retirement coverage. At all ages, Mexican Americans have lower rates of health insurance and retirement coverage than do other mirity groups, such as African Americans or other Hispanic groups. Although employment in jobs that do t provide benefits is one major source of this disparity, other factors-including immigration history, citizenship status, and language proficiency-further block opportunities for upward mobility within the Mexican American population. In their analysis, the authors work to deemphasize the popular, cultural explanation for the ecomic disparities and focus on more practical, policy-based solutions. In each chapter, the authors identify and critique the factors that affect the ecomic security and health care access of individuals throughout the life course, suggesting policies for reform. This work will be of interest to anyone working in the fields of cultural studies, public health and the sociology of work. With the focus on real world causes for the problems as well as potential solutions, policy-makers will also find this informative book an essential resource.
- Author(s)Jacqueline L. Angel,Ronald J. Angel
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/08/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note15 black & white tables, biography
- Weight396 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.