All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Historical Dictionary of Latin American Literature and Theater provides users with an accessible single-volume reference tool covering Portuguese-speaking Brazil and the 16 Spanish-speaking countries of continental Latin America (Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, and Venezuela). Entries for authors, ranging from the early colonial period to the present, give succinct biographical data and an account of the author's literary production, with particular attention to their most prominent works and where they belong in literary history. The introduction provides a review of Latin American literature and theater as a whole while separate dictionary entries for each country offer insight into the history of national literatures. Entries for literary terms, movements, and genres serve to complement these commentaries, and an extensive bibliography points the way for further reading. The comprehensive view and detailed information obtained from all these elements will make this book of use to the general-interest reader, Latin American studies students, and the academic specialist.
- Author BiographyRichard Young is professor emeritus of Spanish and Latin American Studies at the University of Alberta, Canada, where he taught for almost 40 years. His edited volumes include Latin American Postmodernisms (1997), Music, Popular Culture, Identities (2002), and, in collaboration with Stephen Hart, Contemporary Latin American Cultural Studies (2003). He was editor of Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispanicos from 1996 until 2003. Odile Cisneros is associate professor in the Department of Modern Languages and Cultural Studies and the Program in Comparative Literature at the University of Alberta. She co-edited Novas: Selected Writings of Haroldo de Campos (2007), and she is also an active literary translator and has published book-length translations of work by Regis Bonvicino, Rodrigo Rey Rosa, and Jaroslav Seifert.
- PrizesShortlisted for RUSA Outstanding Reference Sources Award 2012.
- Author(s)Odile Cisneros,Richard Young
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication18/12/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleHistorical Dictionaries of Literature and the Arts
- Series Part/Volume Number45
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1103 g
- Width155 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine50 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
- AU $22.78New
- AU $76.89New
- AU $36.17New
- AU $29.80New
- AU $77.88New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $19.67Trending at AU $22.88
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $36.17
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.06
- AU $17.63Trending at AU $19.93
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $87.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.04
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $93.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.