All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough the history of librarianship as an organized profession dates only as far back as the mid-nineteenth century, the history of libraries is much older, and people have been engaged in pursuits that we recognize as librarianship for many thousands of years. This book traces librarianship from its origins in ancient times through its development in response to the need to control the flood of information in the modern world to the profound transformations brought about by the new techlogies of the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries. The Historical Dictionary of Librarianship focuses on librarianship as a modern, organized profession, emphasizing the period beginning in the mid-nineteenth century. Author Mary Ellen Quinn relates the history of this profession through a chrology, an introductory essay, appendixes, and an extensive bibliography. The dictionary section has over 300 cross-referenced entries on important personalities, libraries around the world, and table organizations and associations. This book is an excellent access point for students, researchers, and anyone wanting to kw more about librarianship.
- Author BiographyMary Ellen Quinn worked as a librarian for most of her career. From 1997-2011, she worked at the American Library Association as the editor of the Reference Books Bulletin section of Booklist, the association's review journal. She was also the managing editor of Booklist Online from 2006-11. She has published numerous articles related to library collection development and reference publishing, including Reference Books Bulletin's annual encyclopedia update. She wrote the Librarian's Library column in American Libraries from 2007-11. In 2001, she received the Louis Shores Award for excellence in book reviewing for libraries.
- Author(s)Mary Ellen Quinn
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication08/05/2014
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Series TitleHistorical Dictionaries of Professions and Industries
- Place of PublicationLanham
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Education
- Content Note2 tables
- Weight671 g
- Width161 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.