All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMadagascar, widely kwn as the 'Great Island,' is just off the coast of Africa in the Indian Ocean. This revised and expanded edition fills us in on the changes that have occurred over the past decade while still covering the long and intricate history of the country. It starts with the earliest settlers, continues through the period of French colonial rule, and then describes more intensively the period of independence, with all its aspirations, failures, and renewed hopes. This is done in a broad introduction, an extensive chrology, and hundreds of cross-referenced dictionary entries on significant persons, places, and events; ethnic groups and religions; and ecomic, social, and cultural aspects. Also included is a bibliography offering further reading.
- Author BiographyPhilip M. Allen is Distinguished University Professor, Chair of Foreign Languages, and Coordinator of Liberal Studies at Frostburg State University, in the University of Maryland System. He is a former Foreign Service Officer in Madagascar and Germany. He is author of several books on the Indian Ocean, and has held three Senior Fulbright Lectureships, including one at the University of Antananarivo in 1999-2000. Maureen Covell is a professor of Political Science at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. She wrote her doctoral dissertation on local politics in Madagascar, a research undertaking that involved an extensive stay on the island. In particular, she lived for several months in Antananarivo, Fianarantsoa, and Toliara. Among her acquaintances at the time were several people who were subsequently active in the politics of the Second Republic. Dr. Covell is the author of Madagascar: Politics, Economics, and Society, and of articles on Malagasy local government and foreign policy.
- Author(s)Maureen Covell,Philip M. Allen
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication06/10/2005
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleHistorical Dictionaries of Africa
- Series Part/Volume Number98
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Notemaps
- Weight676 g
- Width146 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.