All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHealth patterns in Southeast Asia have changed profoundly over the past century. In that period, epidemic and chronic diseases, environmental transformations, and international health institutions have created new connections within the region and the increased interdependence of Southeast Asia with China and India. In this volume leading scholars provide a new approach to the history of health in Southeast Asia. Framed by a series of syptic pieces on the Landscapes of Health in Southeast Asia in 1914, 1950, and 2014 the essays interweave local, national, and regional perspectives. They range from studies of long-term processes such as changing epidemics, mortality and aging, and environmental history to detailed accounts of particular episodes: the global cholera epidemic and the hajj, the influenza epidemic of 1918, WWII, and natural disasters. The writers also examine state policy on healthcare and the influence of organizations, from NGOs such as the China Medical Board and the Rockefeller Foundation to grassroots organizations in Thailand, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
- Author BiographyTim Harper is Reader in Southeast Asian History at the Faculty of History, University of Cambridge, Fellow of Magdalene College, and Associate Director of the Centre for History and Economics. He is author of The End of Empire and the Making of Malaya and (with Christopher Bayly) Forgotten Armies: The Fall of British Asia, 1941-45 and Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire. Sunil S. Amrith is Reader in Modern Asian History at Birkbeck, University of London. He is author of Decolonizing International Health: India and Southeast Asia, 1930-65; Migration and Diaspora in Modern Asia; and Crossing the Bay of Bengal: The Furies of Nature and the Fortunes of Migrants.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication25/09/2014
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note1 b&w illus, 6 tables
- Weight513 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited bySunil Amrith,Tim Harper
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.