All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.06Trending at AU $45.25
About this product
- DescriptionNewspaper front pages may be labelled 'tomorrow's chip paper' but they are documents of history in the making. They report on unforgettable events and the lives of famous people. They sum up the momentous days that have defined the past, from wars to peace accords, the greatest of human achievements to the most heius of man's crimes. But what of those stories that are less well-remembered - the dramatic, sensational, or simply eye-catching news that made headlines all those years ago, but which have since been relatively neglected? 100 Forgotten Headlines brings those remarkable events back to vivid life. Through the pages of the Daily Mirror, it reveals nearly a century of reports that were genuinely big news at the time. Here are the less-heralded but less compelling conflicts, famines, assassinations, and disasters, both natural and man-made. There are inspiring tales of scientific breakthroughs, feats of endurance, and individual achievements. There are terrible accidents, world-shattering events, and the exploits of famous people whose celebrity or toriety has faded with the passing years. Here also are the curiosities, entertaining oddities and bizarre cases that grabbed readers' attentions at the time but w seem like a lost world rooted in ather age. Complete with superb photographs and fascinating background information that places each story in context, 100 Forgotten Headlines is an intriguing window into an unseen past.
- Author BiographyAdam Powley is a journalist and writer behind a number of books. He is the author of When Football Was Football: World Cup, When Football Was Football: Tottenham Hotspur, and is the co-author of the bestselling Spurs Miscellany and the critically acclaimed The Boys From White Hart Lane. He was also a major contributor to The Spurs Opus, When Saturday Comes: The half-decent football book, and Football: The Ultimate Guide. In addition to footballing titles, he has also written When Cricket Was Cricket, a nostalgic look at the game in bygone years, and reported and written for the Sunday Mirror, The Guardian, and Time Out.
- Author(s)Adam Powley
- PublisherHaynes Publishing Group
- Date of Publication04/09/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationSomerset
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJ H Haynes & Co Ltd
- Content Note220
- Weight1116 g
- Width224 mm
- Height302 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.