Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionFiction plays a vital role in describing history and transmitting culture. How writers understand and use history can play an equally important role in how they navigate a vel. This book explores the nature of the author's relationship with history and fiction - often using writers' own words - as well as the role history plays in fiction. Focusing on genre fiction, this study considers key issues in the relationship between history and fiction, such as how writers contextualise the history they use in their fiction and how they incorporate historical research. The book also addresses the related topic of world building using history, discussing the connections between the science fiction writers' tion of world building and the scholarly understanding of story space and explaining the mechanics of constructing the world of the vel. This book places the writing of fiction into a wider framework of history and writing and encourages dialogue between writers and historians.
- Author BiographyGillian Polack is a writer, editor, historian and critic based at the Australian National University. Her main research interests are cultural development and transmission in both the Middle Ages and the contemporary period. She has published several novels and seventeen short stories and has edited two anthologies. One of her stories won a Victorian Ministry of the Arts award and three more have been listed as recommended reading in the international lists of world's best fantasy and science fiction short stories. Her non-fiction includes work on historiography, the Middle Ages, Arthurian studies and literature.
- Author(s)Gillian Polack
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication14/03/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2016
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight390 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.