All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe ruling elite in ancient Rome sought to eradicate even the memory of their deceased opponents through a process w kwn as damnatio memoriae. These formal and traditional practices included removing the person's name and image from public monuments and inscriptions, making it illegal to speak of him, and forbidding funeral observances and mourning. Paradoxically, however, while these practices dishored the person's memory, they did t destroy it. Indeed, a later turn of events could restore the offender t only to public favor but also to re-inclusion in the public record. This book examines the process of purge and rehabilitation of memory in the person of Virius Nicomachus Flavianus(?-394). Charles Hedrick describes how Flavian was condemned for participating in the rebellion against the Christian emperor Theodosius the Great-and then restored to the public record a generation later as members of the newly Christianized senatorial class sought to reconcile their pagan past and Christian present. By selectively remembering and forgetting the actions of Flavian, Hedrick asserts, the Roman elite hored their ancestors while participating in profound social, cultural, and religious change.
- Author BiographyCharles W. Hedrick Jr. is Professor of Ancient History in Cowell College of the University of California at Santa Cruz.
- Author(s)Charles W. Hedrick
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2010
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note2 photos, 1 line drawing, 1 figure
- Weight851 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.