All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $32.31Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
About this product
- DescriptionSpanning six centuries of global design, this far-reaching survey is the first to offer an account of the vast history of decorative arts and design produced in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, the Indian subcontinent, and the Islamic world, from 1400 to the present. Meticulously documented and lavishly illustrated, the volume covers interiors, furniture, textiles and dress, glass, graphics, metalwork, ceramics, exhibitions, product design, landscape and garden design, and theater and film design. Divided into four chrological sections, each of which is subdivided geographically, the authors elucidate the evolution of style, form, materials, and techniques, and address vital issues such as gender, race, patronage, cultural appropriation, continuity versus invation, and high versus low culture. Leading authorities in design history and decorative arts studies present hundreds of objects in their contemporary contexts, demonstrating the overwhelming extent to which the applied arts have enriched customs, ceremony, and daily life worldwide over the past six hundred years. This ambitious, landmark publication is essential reading, contributing a definitive classic to the existing scholarship on design, decorative arts, and material culture, while also introducing these subjects to new readers in a comprehensive, erudite book with widespread appeal.
- Author BiographyPat Kirkham is a professor at the Bard Graduate Center, where Susan Weber is founder and director.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication08/11/2013
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Series TitleBard Graduate Center for Studies in the Decorative Arts, Design & Culture
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note760 colour + black-&-white illustrations
- Weight3098 g
- Width248 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine39 mm
- Edited byPat Kirkham,Susan Weber
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.