Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.76Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionOrgan transplantation is the greatest therapeutic advancement of the second half of the 20th century. Of all medical specialities, the pioneers of transplantation make up the largest number of experts awarded with, or minated for the Nobel Prize.Over the years, transplantation has fascinated the scientific community as well as the general public for a variety of reasons:* The development of transplantation has involved almost all medical specialities. In the history of medicine, there is perhaps other example of such extensive co-operation and exchange of kwledge and experience among basic scientists, surgeons and physicians in achieving a common goal.* The progress of transplantation has forced doctors to rewrite medical textbooks dealing with a great spectrum of post-transplantation issues, such as the physiology of transplanted organs, the recurrence of initial disease in the transplanted organs, and the complications arising from immusuppressive drugs, infectious diseases and cancer. Other issues raised concern maternity, child development, geriatric medicine and ethical issues.However, the history of this amazing field of modern medicine has never been thoroughly reported in a detailed textbook. History of Organ and Cell Transplantation covers this area of modern literature. It includes a foreword written by Lady Jean Medawar who is the wife of the late Sir Peter Medawar, Nobel Prize winner and first president of the International Transplantation Society.
- Author BiographyVassilios E Papalois MD PhD FICS is a Consultant Transplant and General Surgeon at St Mary's and the Hammersmith Hospitals in London, UK. He received his MD and PhD degrees from the Athens University in Greece with Honours, and his post- PhD in Transplantation Immunology at the University of Minnesota with Honours. He received his surgical training in Transplantation at St Mary's Hospital in London and he also completed a Multi Organ Transplant Fellowship at the University of Minnesota in the USA. He has a special interest in kidney (living donor and non-heart beating) transplantation, as well as in pancreatic and islet transplantation. He has been awarded grants for the promotion of living donor and non-heart beating donor kidney transplantation in the UK. He has extensive research experience in the fields of Transplantation, Immunology and Islet Transplantation and he has worked in distinguished laboratories in Greece, UK and the USA. He has 125 publications and he is an active member of the Transplantation Society, the British Transplantation Society, the International Paediatric Transplant Association, the Xenotransplantation Association and the Cell Transplant Society. Nadey S Hakim MD PhD FRCS FACS is the Surgical Director of the Transplant Unit at St Mary's Hospital London. He has a particular interest and expertise in kidney and pancreas transplantation. He received his surgical training at Guy's Hospital, and obtained his PhD in small bowel transplantation from University College London. He completed a Gastrointestinal Fellowship at the Mayo Clinic and a Multiorgan Transplant Fellowship at the University of Minnesota. He has over 100 publications and has authored/edited eight textbooks in Surgery and Transplantation since taking up his position at St Mary's in January 1995.
- Author(s)Nadey S. Hakim,Vassilios Papalois
- PublisherImperial College Press
- Date of Publication12/03/2003
- SubjectSurgery: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintImperial College Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight794 g
- Width159 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.