All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIs Hitchcock a superficial, though brilliant, entertainer or a moralist? Do his films celebrate the ideal of romantic love or subvert it? In a new interpretation of the director's work, Richard Allen argues that Hitchcock orchestrates the narrative and stylistic idioms of popular cinema to at once celebrate and subvert the ideal of romance and to forge a distinctive worldview-the amoral outlook of the romantic ironist or aesthete. He describes in detail how Hitchcock's characteristic tone is achieved through a titillating combination of suspense and black humor that subverts the moral framework of the romantic thriller, and a meticulous approach to visual style that articulates the lure of human perversity even as the ideal of romance is being deliriously affirmed. Discussing more than thirty films from the director's English and American periods, Allen explores the filmmaker's adoption of the idioms of late romanticism, his orchestration of narrative point of view and suspense, and his distinctive visual strategies of aestheticism and expressionism and surrealism.
- Author BiographyRichard Allen is Associate Professor of Cinema Studies at New York University. He is the author of Projecting Illusion (Cambridge, 1995) and co-editor of four anthologies Film Theory and Philosophy (Oxford, 1997), Hitchcock: Centenary Essays (BFI 1999), Wittgenstein, Theory and The Arts (Routledge, 2001), Camera Obscura/Camera Lucida: Essays in Honor of Annette Michelson (Amsterdam, 2003). He is also editor (with Sid Gottlieb) of the Hitchcock Annual, a journal of Hitchcock Studies.
- Author(s)Richard Allen
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication14/09/2007
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleFilm and Culture Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Note64 illus.
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.