All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionAs an interpreter in the German Foreign Ministry, Paul-Otto Schmidt (1899-1970) was in attendance at some of the most decisive moments of twentieth-century history. Fluent in both English and French, he served as Hitler's translator during negotiations with Chamberlain, the British declaration of war and the surrender of France, as well as translating the Fuhrer's infamous speeches for radio. Having gained favour with the Nazi Party - donning first the uniform of the SS then that of the Luftwaffe - Paul Schmidt was given 'absolute authority' in everything to do with foreign languages. He later presided over the interrogation of Canadian soldiers captured after the 1942 Dieppe Raid. Arrested in May 1945, Schmidt was freed by the Americans in 1948. In 1946 he testified at the Nuremberg Trials, where conversations with him were ted down by the psychiatrist Leon Goldensohn and later published. After the war he taught at the Sprachen und Dolmetscher Institut in Munich. Hitler's Interpreter presents a highly atmospheric account of the bizarre life led behind the scenes at the highest level of the Third Reich. Roger Moorhouse is a historian of the Third Reich. He is the author of the acclaimed Berlin at War, Killing Hitler and The Devil's Pact. He has contributed to He Was My Chief, I Was Hitler's Chauffeur, With Hitler to the End and Hitler's Last Witness.
- Author BiographyPaul Schmidt (1899-1970) was an interpreter in the German foreign ministry, in 1923 45. Roger Moorhouse is a historian of the Third Reich. He is the author of Berlin at War, Hitler Triumphant, Killing Hitler, and The Devils' Alliance.
- Author(s)Paul Schmidt
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication06/06/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note16 black & white illustrations, 8 black & white plates
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Foreword byRoger Moorhouse
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.