All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA gifted young textile designer leaves Britain to work for a Nigerian women s refuge, confident in the conviction that this is her one chance to make a difference; a 16-year-old accepts a low-paying job as a window-cleaner for the opportunity it affords him to peer into other people s lives, and carefully plan his own; and a leading scientist risks his career by taking a secret lover back to his house one night, driven by a passion to share his new theory. The characters in this short story collection are unashamedly defiant. Buoyed by their self-belief, they enthuse, take calculated risks, and refuse to be beaten by situations. Offering an object lesson in how fine the balance can be between self-confidence and self-delusion, this compilation demonstrates how individuals, caught momentarily off-guard, drunk on the smallest drop of confidence, are ultimately brought down by their own belief in themselves.
- Author BiographyJane Rogers is a professor of writing at Sheffield Hallam University, a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, and the recipient of the Arthur C. Clarke award. She is the author of nine novels, including Mr. Wroe's Virgins, The Testament of Jessie Lamb, and The Voyage Home.
- PrizesShortlisted for Edge Hill Prize for the Short Story 2013 and BBC National Short Story Award 2009.
- Author(s)Jane Rogers
- PublisherComma Press
- Date of Publication31/10/2012
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationMytholmroyd
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintComma Press
- Weight227 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.