All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCelebrate Kwanzaa continues the spectacular Holidays Around the World series by looking at this African-American holiday. Using fairly brief text and approximately 25 fabulous photographs, the book gives a flavor for the holiday as it is celebrated around the world. Celebrate Kwanzaa focuses on historical and cultural aspects of the holiday: traditions, food, types of celebration. The extensive back matter includes fun facts; a recipe; a map showing the locations of the photographs in the book; a resource list of books, videos, and Web sites; and, a te from an expert consultant. This te, aimed at parents and teachers, helps put the holiday in a greater cultural and historic context. In Celebrate Kwanzaa , readers will learn about a holiday that celebrates. African-American culture. Kwanzaa is a seven-day long celebration, and each day is dedicated to one of seven principles: unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative ecomics, purpose, creativity, and faith. Beautiful images illustrate the concepts and symbols of the holiday. On December 31, the feast of Karamu encourages cultural expression and a celebration of ancestry and unity. On the last day, Imani, simple, often homemade, gifts are given.
- Author BiographyThe author of more than 20 books, Carolyn Otto is best known for her award-winning children's nonfiction titles, including the Scholastic Science Readers Wolves and Spiders, and What Color is Camouflage? in the HarperCollins Lets-Read-and-Find- Out Science Series. Carolyn. who has also written poetry and fiction for children as well as adults, has a BA in English from Colorado College.She earned her MA from NYU while concurrently working for a major publishing company in New York. After a number of years in New York, she returned to her native Colorado. She lives in Colorado Springs with her dog, Belle
- Author(s)Carolyn B. Otto
- PublisherNational Geographic Kids
- Date of Publication15/04/2011
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Geographic Kids
- Out-of-print date24/01/2012
- Content Notecol. Illustrations
- Weight113 g
- Width216 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine3 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.