All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany sub-fields of anthropology, which were for many years kept apart, have, over the last few years, been coming together in new, mutually fruitful ways as in areas such as museum ethgraphy, material culture studies, biological and medical anthropology, ecological anthropology, linguistic and cognitive anthropology, and archaeological anthropology. This volume addresses the new challenges that holistic anthropology presents and explores topics such as the social understanding, interpretation and appropriation of new biological techlogies, which increasingly penetrate most aspects of physical life, including reproduction, food, biomedicine, health, but also physical performance and art. Convergence in anthropology heralds a new phase in the development of the subject.
- Author BiographyDavid Parkin has since 1996 been Professor of Social Anthropology at the University of Oxford, and was previously from 1964 at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. He works in Eastern Africa among Muslims and non-Muslims on religion, healing, language, human bodily intelligence, and material culture. His books include Sacred Void; Islamic Prayer across the Indian Ocean; The Politics of Cultural Performance. Stanley Ulijaszek is Professor of Human Ecology at the University of Oxford, and was previously at the University of Cambridge. Current research interests include human evolutionary nutrition, and biocultural determinants of nutritional health in transitional economies of Eastern Europe and the Pacific. He has conducted research in Papua New Guinea, the Cook Islands, Poland, the UK, Australia, Bangladesh, Nepal and India. His books include Human Energetics in Biological Anthropology; Nutritional Anthropology; Prospects and Perspectives (with Simon Strickland).
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication15/10/2007
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleMethodology & History in Anthropology
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 16
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Notebibliog., index
- Weight576 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byDavid Parkin,Stanley J. Ulijaszek
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.