All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume examines one of the most controversial stories in the Bible_the akedah, or sacrifice of Isaac recounted in the 22nd chapter of Genesis. Today, more than three thousand years later, the story continues to evoke controversy. It has had an impact on Judaism, Christianity and Islam_each clinging to different interpretations. Even among adherents of a common faith, interpretations of the passage differ to such extremes that it can be used to justify unthinkable behavior ranging from infanticide, mass murder, and suicide bombings. Abraham's actions have generated a sacrificial rhetoric that continues to exert a powerful influence on modern society. The rhetoric of sacrifice was born when the first person used the story of akedah to inspire ather to sacrifice willingly on their behalf. Since then, a multitude of religious leaders and religious imposters have used the rhetoric of sacrifice to do their bidding. The akedah has proven itself as a tool that placed in the wrong hands can be used to commit unthinkable acts.
- Author BiographyLarry Powell is Professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. William R. Self is Associate Professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Author(s)Larry Powell,William R. Self
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication08/11/2006
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight313 g
- Width154 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.