All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe home run is indeed baseball's ultimate weapon. It can change a game in a heartbeat, making a tight game into a blowout or a seemingly easy win into a nail-biter. Homers are majestic, powerful, and awe inspiring. And sluggers are the sport's biggest stars, from the days of Babe Ruth through Barry Bonds. David Vincent, called The Sultan of Swat Stats by ESPN, delves into the long history of the home run with great detail and color. He starts when the rules of the game were highly unstable and sometimes the definition of a home run could change in a park from year to year; follows through the Deadball Era, when the home run was rare; explores the explosion Babe Ruth brought to baseball in the 1920s; discusses how both world wars affected homer statistics; looks at great home run races such as Maris versus Mantle in 1961; assesses the effects of the juiced ball, juiced players, thin air, and smaller ballparks; and so much more. If there is something to kw about home run history, look to David Vincent for the answer-Major League Baseball does. With Home Run: The Definitive History of Baseball's Ultimate Weapon, w you can kw it too. A 1990s Nike commercial proclaimed that chicks dig the long ball. In this thorough and colorful look at baseball's ultimate weapon, David Vincent shows you why.
- Author BiographyDavid Vincent, the recognized master of home run knowledge, is often quoted by Major League Baseball, ESPN, Fox, USA Today, and many other media outlets on the history of the home run. A longtime member of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR), he keeps SABR's official home run statistics and was presented with the organization's highest honor, the Bob Davids Award, in 1999. Vincent is also an official scorer for the Washington Nationals. A computer programmer for a major multinational corporation, he lives in Centreville, Virginia.
- Author(s)David Vincent
- PublisherPotomac Books Inc
- Date of Publication31/03/2007
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationDulles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPotomac Books Inc
- Content Note10 b&w photos
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Foreword byP. Gammons
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.