All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.17Trending at AU $52.09
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionPresidential scholar John P. Burke systematically and thoroughly reviews the office of national security advisor from its inception during the Eisenhower presidency to its latest iteration in the White House of George W. Bush. He explores the ways in which the original conception of the national security advisor - as an 'honest broker' who, rather than directly advocating for any certain policy direction, was instead charged with overseeing the fairness, completeness, and accuracy of the policymaking process - has evolved over time. In six case studies, he analyzes the implications of certain pivotal changes in the advisor's role, providing thoughtful and sometimes critical reflections on how these changes square with the role of 'honest broker'. Finally, Burke offers some prescriptive consideration of how the definition of the national security advisor's role relates to effective presidential decision making and the crucial issues of American national security. Honest Broker? will be an important resource for scholars, students, political leaders, and general readers interested in the U.S. presidency, foreign policy, and national security.
- Author BiographyJOHN P. BURKE is a professor of political science at the University of Vermont in Burlington. He is winner of the American Political Science Association's Richard Neustadt Award for the best book on the American Presidency.
- Author(s)John P. Burke
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2009
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleJoseph V. Hughes Jr. and Holly O. Hughes Series on the Presidency and Leadership
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Notebib., index
- Weight794 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.