All listings for this product
Best-selling in Cook Books
- AU $31.04New
- AU $44.82New
- AU $30.07New
- AU $14.61New
- AU $34.67New
Save on Cook Books
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $30.14
- AU $29.31Trending at AU $35.45
- AU $32.29Trending at AU $33.91
- AU $28.80Trending at AU $44.63
About this product
- DescriptionHoney, I'm Homemade: Sweet Treats from the Beehive across the Centuries and around the World showcases a wealth of recipes for cookies, breads, pies, puddings, and cakes that feature honey as an essential ingredient. Noted entomologist May Berenbaum also details the fascinating history of honey harvesting and consumption around the world, explains the honey bee's extraordinary capacity to process nectar into concentrated sweetness, and marvels at honey's diverse flavors and health benefits. Honey is a unique food because of its power to evoke a particular time and place. Every time it is collected from a hive, honey takes on the nuanced flavors of a particular set of flowers--clover, orange blossoms, buckwheat, or others--at a certain point in time processed and stored by a particular group of bees. Honey is t just a snapshot of a time and place--it's the taste of a time and place, and it lends its flavors to the delectable baked goods and other treats found here. More than a cookbook, Honey, I'm Homemade is a tribute to the remarkable work of Apis mellifera, the humble honey bee whose pollination services allow three-quarters of all flowering plant species to reproduce and flourish. Sales of the book will benefit the University of Illiis Pollinatarium--the first freestanding science outreach center in the nation devoted to flowering plants and their pollinators. Because so much depends on honey bees, and because people have benefited from their labors for millennia, Honey, I'm Homemade is the perfect way to share and celebrate honey's sweetness and delight.
- Author BiographyMay Berenbaum is Swanlund Professor of Entomology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and a member of the National Academy of Sciences. Her other books include Ninety-Nine Gnats, Nits, and Nibblers; Ninety-Nine More Maggots, Mites, and Munchers; Bugs in the System: Insects and Their Impact on Human Affairs; Buzzwords: A Scientist Muses on Sex, Bugs, and Rock 'N' Roll; and The Earwig's Tail: A Modern Bestiary of Multi-legged Legends.
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication07/10/2010
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Content Note10 line drawings
- Weight340 g
- Width4226 mm
- Height5193 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byDr. May R. Berenbaum
- Illustrator(s)Nils Cordes
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.