Hong Kong, China: Learning to Belong to a Nation by Tai Lok Lui, Eric Ma, Gordon Mathews (Paperback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $50.26+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe idea of 'national identity' is an ambiguous one for Hong Kong. Returned to the national embrace of China on 1 July 1997 after 150 years as a British colony, the concept of national identity and what it means to belong to a nation is a matter of great tension and contestation in Hong Kong. Written by three academic specialists on Hong Kong cultural identity, social history, and mass media, this book explores the processes through which the people of Hong Kong are learning to belong to a nation by examining their relationship with the Chinese nation and state in the recent past, present, and future. It considers the complex meanings of and debates over national identity in Hong Kong over the past fifty years and especially during the last decade following Hong Kong's return to China. It also places these arguments within a larger, global perspective, to ask what Hong Kong can teach us about national identity and its potential transformations. Multidisciplinary in its approach, Hong Kong and China explores national identity in terms of theory, mass media, survey date, ethgraphy and history, and will appeal to students and scholars of Chinese history, cultural studies, and nationalism.
- Author BiographyGordon Mathews teaches in the Department of Anthropology, the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Eric Kit-wai Ma teaches in the School of Journalism and Communication, the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Tai-lok Lui teaches in the Department of Sociology, the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Author(s)Eric Ma,Gordon Mathews,Tai Lok Lui
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/06/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
- AU $80.68New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.32Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.